Monday, March 14, 2016

Fire Your Friends

This article from Motivated Mastery is a quick treatment of the thought of Seneca. One thing that jumped out at me was this:

Those people who, contrary to Theophrastus’ advice, judge a man after they have made him their friend instead of the other way around, certainly put the cart before the horse. Think for a long time whether or not you should admit a given person to your friendship. But when you have decided to do so, welcome him heart and soul, and speak as unreservedly with him as you would with yourself. 

Respect. You and your friend will, ideally, share mutual respect. You don't seek advantage from each other and you make each other better.

And if not? If you have admitted a person to your friendship hastily?

I think you fire them.

I've done this. It was messy. I was emotional. I'd be less emotional now, I think, but one thing that Stoicism has done for me is that I have become pickier with who I spend my time with in the first place, so the problem hasn't arisen.


No comments:

Post a Comment