Saturday, January 17, 2015

Preferred Indifferents: Musonius Rufus Brand Pizza




Rufus advises us to eat cheap, wholesome food and to avoid meat. I think that he would approve of this pizza recipe*.

Check it out here.

The cost of ingredients breaks down like this:

Flour, yeast, and sugar: less than $1
Cheese: I shredded 1/8 of a block of cheddar**, so probably $1.00
Sauce: I used 1/4 of a can of $1 spaghetti sauce, so about .25 cents

All in cost: $3.25... call it $3.50 if you throw in the olive oil and cornmeal to keep it from sticking...

It's pretty tasty, and it cost less than a single value meal at McDonalds. Plus I know what's in it (except for the spaghetti sauce).


* * *

I hereby release the above image into the public domain

*Some Stoics will worry that I'm trying to turn Stoicism into some sort of Oprah/Doctor Phil style trend, and that's a valid concern. On the other hand Rufus gives us specific lifestyle advice, which I find interesting because it's a way to live out our practice. I'd be very intersted to hear about other Stoic views on living a Stoic lifestyle in the modern age.

**Yes, using cheddar instead of mozzarella is tantamount to sacrilege, but it's what I had on hand, so in true Stoic fashion...

No comments:

Post a Comment